Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Last Child by John Hart

When I read about how hard it is to get an agent once you have finished your book, I get discouraged.

When I read about how hard it is for the agent to then find a publisher, I get discouraged.

When I read about how the established best selling authors own what is left of the print market, I get discouraged.

It makes me fear that there isn't room for another new author.

Then, I read The Last Child (2009) by John Hart.  My eyes grew wider.  My jaw dropped and then closed into a smile.  And, I said to myself, "By golly, this guy can really write.  He's the real deal."

His first book, The King of Lies, was nominated for the Edgar Award for Best First Novel.  His second book, Down River, won the Edgar Award for Best Novel in 2008.  His third book, The Last Child, won the Edgar Award for Best Novel in 2010.  Talk about hitting home runs.  No one has ever come off the line so fast!

How come?  He's got great twisting plots, super characters you care about, really big bad guys, descriptions you can smell, taste and feel, and dialog you can hear as clear as a bell.  He's got it all.  And it is literary.

The message I get is. . .   If you're really good, agents, publishers, and readers don't care if you a new writer they want to read what you've written.

John Hart is my hero.  Read him!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment