Saturday, March 12, 2011

Crossfire by James Patterson

Today I finished reading Crossfire by James Patterson.

I read this book as a part of my Learn to Write by Reading Project.

I have enjoyed the movies with Morgan Freeman and this character so I chose it to be the James Patterson novel I read.  And, I wanted to read a James Patterson novel because his name is always somewhere on the NYT & USA Today bestseller lists.  And, Forbes said he made FORTY million last year as a writer.  He must be doing something right.

He is very popular.  When I requested this book from my library, I was number eighty-three on the waiting list and the book had been out for months already.

Reading Crossfire was interesting.  Patterson hit the screenwriting beats within a page or two every time.  He ends every chapter with a closing sentence that poses a 'what's going to happen question.'  Each scene is a chapter.  This book has 117 chapters.  Sometimes a scene has several locations when the point of the scene is 'movement'.  His 'voice' is ordinary - nothing special like John Hart's.

Why Patterson is worth $40,000,000 a year is a mystery worth further investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment